Sunday, June 3, 2007

Almost Guiltless Cookies


As mentioned previously, we camping with a bunch of our friends this past weekend. To jumpstart the trip, I thought I'd make some very wholesome cookies. I found this peanut butter banana cookie recipe that used peanut butter instead of oil or shortening, and thought I'd give it a try with some modifications. Seizing the opportunity to experiment, I used carob chips instead of raisins, and I used quinoa flakes instead of the oats. I had never cooked with either ingredient before, but I'm pretty please with the results. The cookie is a moist, not too sweet cakey cookie. The peanut butter and banana taste is definitely there. The quinoa flakes are much smaller than rolled oats, so the flakes sort of disappear into the cookie, while adding a slight nuttiness. Unfortunately, even though I used vegan carob chips, the recipe called for eggs. And while quinoa flakes are typically used for gluten-free diets, the recipe uses whole wheat flour. I guess not being able to call the recipe vegan or gluten free is where my guilt comes in. But while eating it, zero guilt. It's like eating the best energy bar ever.

2 banana, peeled and mashed
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup evaporated cane sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup quinoa flakes
1 cup carob chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a medium bowl, stir together mashed banana, peanut butter, cane sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Mix in the eggs.
Sift together the flour and baking soda.
Add flour and baking soda, mix until just blended, then stir in the quinoa flakes and carob chips until well distrubuted.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place rounded spoonfuls of batter an inch apart on the parchment paper.
Bake for 11 to 13 minutes. These cookies do not brown on the tops, do not overcook.

Makes about 30 cookies.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there!
I love your foodblog! Are you strictly vegetarian because I would love to know the lifestyle of a vegetarian since I have IBS and can't eat red meats and want to know a little more. By the way, the photography is great.

mai + kevin said...

hi Valerie, Thank you for the nice compliments! What a loaded question ...
I think for many vegetarians, the decision to be vegetarian happens graudally, and people slowly limit certain foods until it's just not craved anymore.
In your case, with a husband and kids, you have to think about how to cook vegetarian for yourself, and what to cook for your family (do they want to be vegetarian too?). Missing meat is really not a huge issue, there are many easy meat substitutes out there, we especially like the freezer selections from Morningstar hot dogs, burgers and 'ground beef'. You don't miss the meat, and it has less saturated fat, etc. I'd suggest that as a good way to start incorporating vegetarian meals into your daily lives.

We believe that vegetarianism is what you make it. Some vegetarians do not eat fish or chicken. Others do. Some vegetarians don't mind gelatin and cheese from rennet. Are we strict vegetarian? I'd say no. With our food choices, we aim to feed our bodies the best foods we can. The point is to reduce our consumption of factory farmed meat, and make healthier, more humane choices in our foods. We are not vegan, so we still eat eggs (preferably freerange & organic), honey, and dairy products (preferably organic). Occasionally we make each other allowances when it comes to gummy bears or cheese that may have rennet. We never eat or cook meat or fish at home.
Outside of the home, situations can be such that a vegetarian option is not available or refusing to eat meat may seem rude or inconveniencing to your company or hosts. Depending on the situation, we may choose to eat meat or seafood. As with any diet, sometimes we have to be flexible. Figure out how much meat you are comfortable giving up, and slowly reduce your consumption as you adjust.

Feel free to email us if you have more questions!

Abby said...

I recently found a recipe for chocolate chip zucchini cookies that I hope to try soon! Gotta get that fiber in some way, right?

I'm not vegetarian, but I have found myself eating much less meat as I try to lose weight. I love the Morningstar crumbles (but I wish their products were less expensive!)

shy guys said...

Hello friend amazing and very interesting blog about Almost Guiltless Cookies I really enjoyed reading this blog and I would like to have any update about it, thanks for sharing!!